Announcing: The Domino Inspired My Home ContestMarch 2, 2009
The greatest legacy of Domino was the approachability of the designs it presented, and we know many of you have taken action on the inspiration Domino provided you – and we want to see how you’ve created a life of style within your own home. Besides sharing in the Domino love and inspiration, we also have fabulous prizes to give away to the winners!
There will be two categories: Whole Room, and Vignette. Sometimes doing the Whole Room is more than your budget can handle right now, so we created the Vignette category. We’re expecting this to be a slice of a room, not just the top of a dresser, for example, but the whole dresser included with what’s on top and above it, and even the side of it.
Prizes: Prizes are the same for both the Whole Room and Vignette categories
Second Place – Ty Pennignton’s Good Design Can Change Your Life, and a $15 gift card to Goodwill (or your favorite thrift store)
Third Place – Sheetrock and Shellac: A Thinking Person’s Guide to the Art and Science of Home Improvement by David Owen, and a $10 gift card to Goodwill (or your favorite thrift store)
The books were provided to us by Simon and Schuster. Thanks for your help, Nina!
The contest works like this:
- Photograph your Domino-inspired room or vignette within your home. For tips on photographing your home, check out this Apartment Therapy post (including the comments).
- Submit your photographs and information via email to ilovedominomag[at]gmail[dot]com; email the photos between now and 11:59pm Eastern Standard Time on Sunday, March 15th. You may email up to 5 photos. Label your email with your entry category (you can only choose one category, and only enter one room or vignette). Provide details about what Domino inspired you to do (extra kudos for exact issue(s) and story info), as well as sources and links for your decor whenever possible.
- We will post your entry as soon as we are able to, in the order received. Comments on the photos by the readers of We Love Domino during the submission period are highly encouraged – provided that they are only positive; no negative comments allowed! We’ll open things up for constructive feedback after contest is over to those who have specifically requested it.
- Judges will narrow down the field and post the finalists by Tuesday morning, March 17th. From that point until 11:59pm on Sunday, March 22nd, people will be able to vote on their favorites.
- Winners will be announced on Monday, March 23rd and score the sweet swag mentioned above, as well as the title of Domino-Inspired Genius!
And keep in mind, if you already have any of these books and you win, you’ll have part of your Holiday gift list already checked off.
If you have any questions, feel free to email us and we’ll do our best to answer, and anything that might be relevant to the whole group, we’ll add the question & answer to the comments of this post.
Key Point: You can’t have hired someone else (or bribed with money, wine, or traded services like kid-watching for decorating expertise, for example) to do the area you’re presenting in the contest, though you can be a professional and present your own space.
The “Fine Print” for the contest is available here.
Good luck – we’re looking forward to seeing what Domino has inspired you to do!